Mango pickles can be prepared with so many different combination of spices , pickle powder . The south Indian Avakkai Oorugai is my favourite but i also crave for the Rajasthani keri ka achar esp to go with my masala rotis or theplas . I also enjoy the same with curd rice .
The best part of this pickle is, it gets ready in two days and you can start having it, but i like to wait for few days till the mangoes are all very soft, and still have a bite, the aroma of the pickle masala is so intense it gets heady .
The recipe is very simple , anyone can make this pickle .
1 kg green round firm mangoes
2 tbsp methi seeds
1 tbsp fennel
3 tbsp yellow mustard seeds powder, in case you dont have the yellow mustard seed powder, use the normal mustard seeds by coarsely grinding .
1/2 tsp pepper corns
1 tbsp nigella seeds ( kalonji )
3 heaped tbsp red chilli powder, use kashmiri chili powder for the bright colour and some spicy red chili powder also if you wish
1 tbsp turmeric powder
2 tbsp rock salt, 1 tbsp for mixing with chopped mangoes and turmeric
1 tsp hing, 250 ml oil , i have used sesame oil , normally mustard oil is used in such pickles, as we dont like the flavor so much i used sesame / gingelly oil , also increase oil if you wish
- wash and dry mangoes well, there should be no moisture.
chop them to smaller pieces.
- Take a big bowl, add the chopped mangoes, some of the turmeric powder, salt .
keep aside , allow mangoes to rest for 2 hours .after 2 hours, drain out the liquid from the mangoes and spread the chopped mangoes on a cloth to dry for 2 hours under fan or in the sun .
- Now prepare the pickle masala .
- Take a pan and dry roast methi , keep aside when it starts popping and changing colour .
Roast all spices except nigella seeds ,allow the roasted spices to cool .Grind the roasted spices , a little coarsely and transfer to a plate.
- Now take a bowl to mix all spices .
- Add in salt, turmeric powder, asafoetida powder, the coarsely ground spices, red chili powder, nigella seeds.
- keep the prepared pickle masala powder aside till needed .
- Now add all the chopped mangoes to a glass jar, add in all the dry pickle masala which we have mixed .
shake well so that the pickle masala coats the mangoes well.
- close lid of the jar and allow to rest for 24 hours .
- After 24 hours, you will see the jar has some liquid and mangoes have started getting moist and also note the level of mangoes has come down a bit as they have started getting soft.
- Take a kadai / pan, add in oil, allow to heat up well.
- Allow the heated oil to cool well, add in pinch of asafoetida powder to oil .
- Pour this cooled oil into the glass jar, mix well with a clean dry spoon.
- Close the lid and keep the pickle jar in a cool dark place.
- Delicious spicy Rajasthani mango pickle will be ready in a day or two .