Delicious wholewheat artisan bread is a good recipe for beginners to try as there is not much of kneading , folding, turning etc, and the dough pretty much does its own job .
This is exactly the kind of bread that one needs to try and bake to get confidence .
2 1/4 active dry yeast
1 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 1/2 cups flour ( wholewheat ) dont add all of it to the bowl while making the dough , save some for adjusting dough texture, handling wet dough due to stickiness, , some for dusting , that way you wont be adding any extra flour .
1 1/4 cups warm water
1.Let the yeast proof first by adding it to a bowl, add sugar and warm water, mix well, cover and keep
2. After the yeast has proofed and looks foamy, add in salt, flour and mix with a spatula or a thin stick in a motion just like the machine, going around and around the bowl.
3. The dough may be sticky and sloppy but it is ok and that is how it is supposed to be .
4. When all the flour has been added and the mixture comes together like a shaggy ball sprinkle some flour lightly so that it doesnt stick to the bowl .
cover and allow to proof for an hour or till almost doubled .
5. After an hour or when the dough has doubled, tip the bowl onto a floured counter and work the dough gently, do not knock off the air bubbles, we need the dough to be full of gas , and so take four corners of the dough with floured hands or wet hands, and bring all four corners together like making a cover, till you can shape into a ball .
6. Now drop the ball of dough with seams up into a floured bread proofing basket if you want the pattern. like a banneton proofing basket .
7. I have used a craft cane basket which serves the same purpose, by adding flour to the insides, and shaking it off so that the patterns form on the bread during proofing .
8. Allow the bread to proof second time for an hour or till it has risen .
9 Meanwhile preheat oven to 220 degrees C
10. After the bread dough seems to be proofed second time, gently drop it into the bread tin in which you will bake the bread,make slashes on top with a knife , and bake till done .
the bread will sound hollow and when you slice you will hear a loud crack .
Enjoy no knead whole wheat artisan bread .